I think things. Then I write about them. It's the narcissism, you see.

Monday, March 24, 2014

2014 Week 13, Monday



So far so good on getting back into the swing of regular blog and Facebook productivity. Twitter is still hit and miss. Remembering to pay attention to it and having any content to post are both minor difficulties.

As I’m editing the story I just finished (which I talked about a little bit here) I am enjoying it more and more. Of course I’m not the final arbiter. Someone’s got to love it well enough to put it in their magazine or anthology. Since my first book, as a product, exists it seems to make the most sense to concentrate on building interest via other shorter works. And while I have seen helpful suggestions saying that as an “indie author” I should consider posting material for free on line that potential readers can use to discover me, I’m not sure I agree. There is a time and a place for free things (how could I not agree having just finished my first Goodreads giveaway?). But I’m not selling my book for 99 cents as a sort of career generation loss leader. And I don’t really intend to do so unless as part of a short promotion. So I doubt that a free short story will convince too many people to turn around and spend $7.99 on the Kindle version of my book—I may think I’m good, but it’s doubtful my writing causes that kind of devotion.

On the other hand, submitting material to publications, both established and up-and-coming, has the benefit of putting stories into the hands of people who have paid to read such things. It also conveys a certain level of legitimacy. While I shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds me, I can understand the hesitancy of consumers toward self-published material. I, in fact, share it. And for all I know, I’m quite bad. Accumulating mainstream credits is a great way to counter that perception and drive people toward The Loyalty of Pawns and any and all follow-ups.

On the other hand, I am somewhat making this up as I go along. So it’s possible I’m full of crap.

Speaking of the Goodreads giveaway…thanks to everyone who entered it. It ended yesterday, and I got my list of the 15 winners so I will be happily sending free copies shortly. I am considering doing one more before the six month window closes. It was a great way to gain some exposure for the title. I don’t know how many will take the book from their “to read” list and actually start reading it. But it’s a start.

And a bit of housekeeping: Don’t forget to scroll down the page and find commentary for the first three chapters of The Loyalty of Pawns. You might also find other interesting pieces of blather from past entries.

Now, having performed my obligated Monday duty, I have video game dungeons to clear out…

No comments:

Post a Comment