I think things. Then I write about them. It's the narcissism, you see.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Submitting "And the Baby Goes To..."


As I alluded to in Monday’s rambling bit of rambling, I was prepping a short story for submission. I declared it finished last night and sent it off via the magical intertubes of the world wide web. And because revisiting short story format for the first time in years wasn’t fun enough, I decided to submit a comedy.

Well, if I crash and burn, at least I’ll do it with style. Or, as my poor protagonist Joe Davis put it: This [will go] as badly as this could ever possibly go in the history of things going badly. It’s not that I don’t think I can be funny. Ask anyone I know; they’ll say I’m hilarious. This will not be a compliment, by the way.

The story concept popped in my head as a one act play, and all of the humor was in the dialogue. Which is great. For a play. But not so much for someone who has no desire to be a playwright. But since the short story equivalent of stage direction has to be entertaining, I wasn’t sure if it would pace the same in prose as it did in play format. Of course, if it doesn’t work out, I can already hear the dulcet tones of Eternity comforting me, much as I phrased it in my story; quoth Eternity: [Theron]! What the hell are you doing?

The comedy wasn’t the first story I wrote in recent days. It was just the one I chose to submit to this one submission because this one submission seemed like a great line in the sand to herald more submitting. Got that? I’m glad someone does. Actually, I had intended a different story, but the guest editor for this particular issue said he the magazine doesn’t get enough humor and he likes to laugh. Well…play to your audience and all that.

So now I figure out if I can balance my writing between churning out some short stories and working on the inevitable follow-up—which I’ve already started—to The Loyalty of Pawns. And if all else fails, poor luckless Joe had a great backup plan in mind: And that was when entropy caused the heat death of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment